A Review of Medical Treatment of Ectopic Pregnancy with Systemic Methotrexate

Main Article Content

Dr. Vandita Patil
Dr. Usha Varghese
Dr. Samina Begum
Dr. Kaukab Naheed

Abstract

Abstract

Introduction: The aim of this review is to reassess the effectiveness of systemic methotrexate for the treatment of selected cases of ectopic pregnancy.

Materials & Methods: A retrospective review of 21 cases of ectopic pregnancy from January 2010 to September 2014 who received systemic methotrexate at the Buraimi Hospital, Oman. Buraimi Hospital is a regional referral hospital under Ministry of Health (MOH), Sultanate of Oman.

Results: There were total of 21 cases included in the study who received systemic methotrexate. Of these 13 (62%) cases were successfully treated with single dose of Injection methotrexate. Four patients (19%) required additional dose of Injection methotrexate. Total 17 cases out of 21 (81%) were successfully treated with systemic methotrexate. Four cases (19%) who received single dose of Inj. methotrexate underwent surgery (having failed medical treatment) for tubal abortion/tubal rupture.

Conclusion: With early diagnosis & adopting proper selection criteria medical treatment of ectopic pregnancy with systemic methotrexate is an effective & safe alternative to surgical treatment.

Keywords: Serum Beta Human Chorionic Gonadotrophins (Serum beta hCG), Methotrexate, Ectopic Pregnancy.

Published Oct 22, 2016

Article Details